A Look Back and Forward
Welcome to a beautiful new year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday break and enjoyed time with family and friends. It was a nice time to refresh by stepping away from the computer and instead focus on laughing, cooking, playing games and even shoveling a bit of snow.
As I plan content for the upcoming year I always enjoy folding in your ideas. If you have a moment I’d love for you to fill out this year’s survey with your dreamy garden thoughts:
In the meantime...here are some things I accomplished in 2016:
- Provided my first online workshop: Creating a Theme Garden Idea Booklet. So many people are overwhelmed with where to begin their garden design journey, so I was thrilled to finally offer this opportunity to help you collect ideas.
- Presented at seven garden events, including the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival at Disney World in Orlando, Florida (a dream come true). It is always a thrill meeting so many of you in person.
- Won another teaching award at my full-time position at Iowa State University. Wow!
- Had the amazing opportunity to participate in a study-abroad trip to Ireland. Read more here.
- Attended the Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD) annual conference in New Mexico. Another wow! I fell in love with this state. Read more here.
- Changed the name of my site to PAPER GARDEN WORKSHOP. I felt it was time to be more clear about my purpose for both you and me. You can read about that change and my objectives here.
- Wrote and illustrated the following posts: four on theme gardens, nine on landscape graphics, two on garden design, three on planting design, three on garden visits, and two in garden tidbits.
- My most popular posts this year include:
My plans for 2017...
- Serve on the APLD board! I just found out I was accepted and can’t wait to participate more in this amazing organization. I hope to share my adventures along the way and inform how APLD can benefit you too.
- Present at many amazing venues including the 2nd Annual Cooper-Young Garden Walk in Memphis, Tennessee! This is one of the largest garden walks in the country that includes over 100 private gardens and public spaces. It will take place May 20-21, 2017. Please stop by and say hello if you’re in the area. To see the rest of my presentation schedule please click here.
- Create an e-workbook for my theme garden online workshop to assist those that prefer to plan their gardens in a different format.
- Start planning a new online workshop that focuses on...hmmm….we’ll just have to see what you say in the survey above.
- Continue to write and illustrate garden design posts that inspire and educate.
Big thanks to all of you for your inspiration and constantly challenging me to find new ways to teach garden design and landscape graphics!
If you're interested in additional articles like this one, plus would like to receive my special theme garden eBook, please sign up for my email updates here.